January 20, 2008

Bobby Fischer R.I.P.



"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the
things that are God's". Mark 12:17
As an American who has a token understanding of the conflict
between patriotism and the religious life (personified by Cardinal Richielieu's top diplomat, Francois Leclerc du Tremblay, in Aldous Huxley's "Grey Eminence"), I recognize that Fischer refused to
give up what was Caeser's. But perhaps this could be understood
in his troubled upbringing.
He was psychologically unprepared for adult life.
But he was the world's best chess player in his time, possibly
for all time. His games are a must study for any chess player,
and even the slackest among them, myself a strong candidate,
can enjoy the beauty of his genius in his recorded games
we can "click thru" move by move on the internet.
I recommend an interesting DVD by Susan Polgar,
"...Bobby Fischer's Most Brilliant Games".

No comments:

Archive

My photo
Email: mu99ins@fastmail.fm